The True Trayvon Martin
- He didn’t eat pork bc his father didn’t. Once his uncle fixed pork chops; they smelled so good,he called them “beef chops” & ate 1. #Trayvon
- He was passionate about aviation. #Trayvon
- When he volunteered at a soup kitchen for. The first time, he was astounded by the US hunger crisis. #Trayvon
- He loved his little cousins birthday parties. Even as a teen, he wasn’t too cool for Chuck E. Cheese. #Trayvon
- He was modest about saving his father from dying in a house fire. His father called him his best friend bc of it. #Trayvon
- Hoodies made *him* feel safe. Like so many teens (and adults), he wore them as a protective shell, a security garment. #Trayvon
- He called his dad, “My ol’ boy.” Lord, how he loved his dad. #Trayvon
- When folks wanted to tease him, they said, “Boy, you too skinny to take a breath.” And he’d just smile. #Trayvon
- If he wanted to hang out with his cousins and they had chores, he helped so they could finish faster. #Trayvon
- His uncle said they never had to ask him to do something twice. #Trayvon
- At 17, he was still into BMX bikes. He could cat-walk wheelie. #Trayvon
- The tattoo on his wrist read, “Sybrina.” #Trayvon
- The tattoo on his chest read, “Cora” — his grandmother’s name. #Trayvon
- I’m going to stop here. But just claim one of these memories I tweeted. Carry part of this boy with you, write him on your heart. #Trayvon
- Write the beautiful details of all the black children you meet on your heart. That’s where they’ll be safest. #Trayvon
- I feel like this stuff is important. #Trayvon
All facts about Trayvon are from this Esquire article.
Even if you’re the kind of person who doesn’t believe that Zimmerman himself was racist, I don’t see how you can deny that the media portrayal of him as a thug was racist.
You can paint anyone as a thug if that’s what you are trying to do.
Once again, this has me crying. Especially the bit about hoodies as a protection (forget the reports it was lightly raining and was literally a necessity). I used to live in hoodies in high school because of my insecurities over many things.
It’s a damn shame that the jurors couldn’t get over his Blackness to even begin to see his humanity. But they were on a first name basis with George….
this is breaking my heart.
the pictures we didn’t see
Go out and surf more. Just do it. I love it. You’ll love it. Go out and surf!
So I have been commissioned to make a body of work. The project will span over a year and then finalise in the form of a book and exhibition.
I will add more information and images about the project as and when possible .
THE LAW OF HARMONY
selected but not final edited images for the ongoing series.
From the series 487 Uncatalogued Boxes by Stuart Whipps.
I love this work. Its an excellent piece of documentary work that sit far from the usual constraints of photojournalism [thankfully]
You can find more visual delights here - www.stuartwhipps.com
From the series Pool of Pools by Tuomas korpijaakko
I like the work and love the make-shift book design.